Professional history and Board experience
Doctor of Economics Esa Matikainen operates as Member of the Board in several companies of digital economy. Currently he acts as a Chairman of the Board of InlineMarket (data-driven marketing), as a Vice Chairman in Digitalist Group (Nasdaq OMX Helsinki) and as a Partner in Apprix (Digital Tools). During the last year he has been as a interim CEO in MPY cooperative group ( until 06/2020) and in Yrityspalvelut plc (until 09/2020). He has acted also as a Member of the Board if Qvik Oy and Ida Fram Group.
In these, Matikainen’s duties focus on the development of corporate strategy and business models and the management of the economy and growth in rapidly emerging markets. Matikainen is well aware of the effects of digitalisation on business and management and the Finnish growth business field.
Earlier Matikainen has been one of the main shareholders, Charman of the Board and strategy manager in Nedecon Plc, Internet company founded in 1994 and listed in the NM in 1999. Matikainen played a key role in the listing process, and he answered for the company’s M&A’s. As a full-time Chairman he also steered the management’s work in the concern’s subsidiaries in the developing markets in Singapore, China and Brasil.
- Member of Boardman´s Board of Directors, 2013-2016
- Member of Boardman´s Nomination committee, 2010-2011 and 2015
- Member of the board, Boardman 2020 network, 2006-2015
- Publications: ‘Kaaoksesta kasvuun’ report (‘From Chaos to Growth’, 2013), ‘Mitä hallituksen ja omistajien tarvitsee tietää yhteisöllisistä työvälineistä ja sosiaalisesta mediasta’ report (‘What the Board and Owners should know about social tools and social media’, 2013), Omistajuus ja yrityskasvu (‘Ownership and Business growth’, 2012), Johdon palkitseminen (‘Rewarding the Management’, 2011), Ennakointi ja strateginen päätöksenteko (‘Anticipation and Strategic decision making’, 2011), Uuteen nousuun! (‘Towards new Growth!’, 2010), Kasvu ja kansainvälistyminen talouoden myllerryksessä (‘Growth and Internationalization in the Turmoil of the Economy’ 2009), Maailmalle! (‘To the World!’, 2008), Kasvun haasteet – kasvuyritysten rakentaminen ja hallinta (‘The Challenges of Growth – Building and Managing Growth Companies’, 2007)
- Strategies and board work in growth companies
- Government work and active ownership
- Leadership in the digital world