Professional history and Board experience
Doctor of Economics Esa Matikainen serves on the boards of several digital/IT companies, including as Chairman of Digitalist Group Oyj (Nasdaq OMX Helsinki). InlineMarket Oy (data analytics), and TMP Software Group Oy (elearning), board member of MPY Osuuskunta -Group and MPY Telecom Oyj (ICT services and telecommunications) and shareholder of Apprix Oy (digital training tools).
In 2019-2020, he has also served as interim CEO of MPY Osuuskunta Group (until 06/2020) and its business company MPY Yrityspalvelut Plc (until 09/2020), after taking over from the position of Chairman of the Board. Other recent board memberships include Qvik Oy and Ida Fram Group.
In these, Matikainen’s responsibilities focus on the development of corporate strategy and business models, as well as on managing the economy and growth in rapidly developing markets. Matikainen is well acquainted with the effects of digitalisation on business and management and the Finnish growth company scene.
Previously, Matikainen has served as one of the main shareholders, Chairman of the Board and Chief Strategy Officer of Nedecon Oyj, an Internet company founded in 1994 and listed on the Helsinki Stock Exchange in 1999. He also directed the management of the Group’s subsidiaries in emerging markets such as Singapore, China and Brazil, served on the boards of several of the Group’s subsidiaries and associates and was CEO of a couple of Group companies during their turnaround.
- Member of Boardman´s Board of Directors, 2013-2016
- Member of the Nomination Committee of Boardman Ltd 2015-2018 and 2023-, Chairman 2018-2023
- Member of the board, Boardman 2020 network, 2006-2015
- Publications: ‘Kaaoksesta kasvuun’ report (‘From Chaos to Growth’, 2013), ‘Mitä hallituksen ja omistajien tarvitsee tietää yhteisöllisistä työvälineistä ja sosiaalisesta mediasta’ report (‘What the Board and Owners should know about social tools and social media’, 2013), Omistajuus ja yrityskasvu (‘Ownership and Business growth’, 2012), Johdon palkitseminen (‘Rewarding the Management’, 2011), Ennakointi ja strateginen päätöksenteko (‘Anticipation and Strategic decision making’, 2011), Uuteen nousuun! (‘Towards new Growth!’, 2010), Kasvu ja kansainvälistyminen talouoden myllerryksessä (‘Growth and Internationalization in the Turmoil of the Economy’ 2009), Maailmalle! (‘To the World!’, 2008), Kasvun haasteet – kasvuyritysten rakentaminen ja hallinta (‘The Challenges of Growth – Building and Managing Growth Companies’, 2007)
- Strategies and board work in growth companies
- Government work and active ownership
- Leadership in the digital world