Professional history and Board Experience
M.Sc. in Engineering (1974), Mikko Haapanen has over 30 years’ experience of leading and expert positions. He served as a Lector in Logistics starting 1976 in Helsinki University of Technology for 17 years and has participated in writing over ten business management books (Distribution 2020 was awarded a ProOeconomia award). Has developed and conducted for 21 years the annual Logistics Seminar (over 800 participants in 2005), as well as acted as the main organizer of the Logistics World Congress (ICL 97).
Haapanen founded and manages consulting company ELC Finland Ltd. (former MH-Konsultit Ltd.). Haapanen has organized several seminars, published dozens of articles and participated in writing of 15 books on management.
Haapanen has been active in boards for over 20 years and has participated in board working of international and Finnish industry, trade and service companies. Haapanen has acted as a Chairman and lead development projects in several boards.
Haapanen is Boardman Oy’s Founding Partner and served as a Chairman of the Board 2002-2015. In 2016, he was appointed as a Honorary Chairman of Boardman.
Activities in Boardman
- Co-founder of Boardman Ltd.
- Honorary Chairman of Boardman
- Chairman of the Board, Boardman Ltd., 2002-2015
- Member of the Nomination Committee, Boardman Ltd. 2002-2003, 2018-
- Chaiman of the Development Forum “Ownership Competence”, 2017-2021
- Member of the Development Forum “Ownership and Board Work in Listed Companies”, 2011-2016
- Chairman of the Boardman Seniors (nowadays Advisors), 2013
- Speaker of “Ownership and Board work” training program
- Publications: Johdon palkitseminen (‘Compensation of Management’, 2011), Vallan tasapaino (‘The balance of power’, 2010), Tarkastusvaliokunnan rooli ja tehtävät (’The role and duties of the Audit Committee’, 2010), Hallitus vai toimitusjohtaja (‘Board or CEO’, 2007), Hallitus – Omistajan asialla, johdon tukena (’Board – presenting the Owners, supporting the Management’, 2002)
- Network strategies and network leadership
- Russia know-how
- Value management
- Supply Chain Management
- Logistics service companies
- Private-public structures and development programs